Here to discuss your legal questions.

Healthcare: Visas and Immigration

Health care relies heavily on visa-holders with as many 25% of physicians practicing in the United States being born in another country.  Some of the most common kinds of non-immigrant visas that health care professionals and patients might use include:

B-2 Visa: Overseas patients, used by those who come to the US for medical treatment

B-1 Visa : Academics attending a conference

F-1 Visa:  Medical students (many bring dependent spouses or children too)

J-1 Visa: Medical residents and students, postdocs.  Most common type of visa carried by international medical graduates completing a residency in the United States.  J-1 Waivers are also a nuanced requirement for potential IMGs to remain in the US.

H-1B Visa:  Doctors, those wanting to work in a “specialty occupation” in the United States.  Health care workers including lab and clinical workers, dentists, therapists, pharmacists and hospitalists are also included.

O-1 Visa:  Often “superstars” fit here, including scientists

Preparing the documentation to apply for a Visa can be very involved and technical.  Relying on an attorney to help produce the required applications, using your information and documents, can be critical to successfully receiving a visa.

One of the most important things to know is to start early and remember the process can be quite lengthy.  There may be special requirements for the visa you may be interested in and the corresponding documents that you will need may take some time to get.  In addition, securing a visa itself often takes time and patience.

Contact an attorney immediately if you are considering a visa.  Your attorney can explain the requirements, expected time frame and costs that will be associated with your application and help you choose the best options in securing a visa.